-
December 19th, 2002, 05:00 AM
#1
Inactive Member
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#333333" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#FF9900"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#DDDDDD"><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by PannyDeters:
That didn't help at all.
I need something that says "these are good" and/or "these are bad."
I need pointed in the right direction. A list of every super 8 camera ever made doesn't help me.
-Danny</font></td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>
Well, a super 8 camera is same as a regular camera, righto? What makes a camera a camera, hmmm,,, a lens! Some brands make better lenses than others. So stick with brands that make good lenses, such as those and others I mentioned.
I like my Canon 814's a lot too. Nizo sound cameras are the quietest but I believe they have a poor plastic designed handle. You may or may not want to buy from an expesive camera boutique. The bad thing is you pay top dollar, but some, be careful, say they are checked or guaranteed.
<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ December 19, 2002 01:03 AM: Message edited by: c_77 ]</font>
-
December 19th, 2002, 05:08 AM
#2
Inactive Member
[QUOTE]Originally posted by c_77:
[QB]
Well, a super 8 camera is same as a regular camera, righto? What makes a camera a camera, hmmm,,, a lens! Some brands make better lenses than others. So stick with brands that make good lenses, such as those and others I mentioned.
I like my Canon 814's a lot too. Nizo sound cameras are the quietest but I believe they have a poor plastic designed handle. You may or may not want to buy from an expesive camera boutique. The bad thing is you pay top dollar, but some, be careful, say they are checked or guaranteed.
When I first started filming/collecting super 8 cameras I wanted a Canon 310XL becuase it has the fastest lens. I bid like crazy on one, some poor guy paid like $60 bucks for that toy. There are many cameras that are designated XL, for existing light or night shots.
<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ December 19, 2002 01:18 AM: Message edited by: c_77 ]</font>
-
December 19th, 2002, 05:27 AM
#3
Inactive Member
I asked this same question of several people, not on this board, a month or so ago. I'm a newbie, not an expert or experienced, so take my comments as such.
The most frequent recommendation I got was to stick with late model Canon cameras because of their high quality lenses. Canon 1014 Electronic was the most common suggestion I got, along with the 814 Electronic. I believe these Canon have zoom lenses that cannot be interchanged.
Also, various Beaulieu cameras, especially 6008 and up because they take AA sized (1.2v NiCad or NiMH, not 1.5v alkaline) batteries. The older Beaulieu have unique batteries that are hard to find and might need to be recelled (expensive). The Beaulieu mostly take interchangeable c-mount lenses, many of which are said to be very good.
I ended up with a Beaulieu 6008 S, and I'm very happy with it. You are probably more likely to find Canons than Beaulieu at used camera stores, although I must say that I was unable to find any Super 8 cameras at all at any of the new or used camera stores, thrift stores, or pawn shops in Dallas that I visited or called.
Mainly, however, you want one that still works well. Many do not, they haven't been cared for, maybe they have corroded battery compartments, or they're very dirty and need a CLA, or they use mercury batteries for the light meter that can no longer be (easily) obtained. Etc.
Oh yeah, you can even buy brand new cameras if you can afford them. The Beaulieu 9008, I think, is still being produced, but it costs thousands.
-
December 19th, 2002, 08:10 AM
#4
Inactive Member
Try to and get a camera that's light meter runs off the same batteries as the motor. My 814 autozoom E is great and I saw a really cheap 514 in mint condition for ?35 the other day and am now kicking myself for not buying it. Some camera shops put second hand super8s in the window really cheap because they think its a dying format, so check out a few local camera dealers.
-
December 19th, 2002, 04:47 PM
#5
Inactive Member
I'm positive this has been asked many times and I even went through all the posts from the last twenty days but didn't see it.
I'm just starting. I'm going to look for a camera around town first. I just want a list of what's good and/or what to stay away from.
I want to shoot a B/W movie.
I found a list of cameras but it gave a few specs on each and didn't rate whether it was a good camera or not.
I looked on eBay and found a shitload of cheap cameras, but I don't know the difference between any of them.
-Danny
-
December 19th, 2002, 04:49 PM
#6
Inactive Member
http://www.kolumbus.fi/puistot/
Stick with some brands such as Canon,
Canon, Nikon, Elmo, Nizo (though some
built better than others), I have a
decent Sankyo I like that's made pretty
well, Bauer, Beaulieu, Minolta might be
okay, on and on. My first camera was an
$11 GAF 64, brand new in box of course
off eBay.
Could you be more specific? What do you
plan to do with the film? Anything else
you can tell us?
<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ December 19, 2002 12:55 AM: Message edited by: c_77 ]</font>
-
December 19th, 2002, 04:55 PM
#7
Inactive Member
That didn't help at all.
I need something that says "these are good" and/or "these are bad."
I need pointed in the right direction. A list of every super 8 camera ever made doesn't help me.
-Danny
-
December 19th, 2002, 04:59 PM
#8
Inactive Member
my favorite camera: Canon 514XL-S, shoots 18 & 24fps + single frame, has macro, runs very steady and quiet, has EE lock w/a great meter. if you need slow motion, get the Canon 814E.
-
December 19th, 2002, 04:59 PM
#9
Inactive Member
I want to shoot a mini-movie, mostly at night, mostly outside.
I want black and white. I hope to be able to put it to video or DVD so that I can show it anywhere.
I realize that I have to first, learn how to use it, figure out what I'll record sound on, and all that.
I have Friday off and I figured I'd go shopping for a camera. I'd rather buy a couple of good cameras than a bunch of crappy ones.
Also, is anyone on this list from OKC?
-Danny
-
December 21st, 2002, 09:00 PM
#10
Inactive Member
Danny,
I was in the same boat with you not very long ago. I ended up going on eBay and picking the first camera I saw that was cheap and came with some stuff. I ended up with a Sankyo Super CM-300 and some other crap that came with it for 20 bucks. As far as the camera goes, it's quite well built for a cheaper model camera (metal), it's light and an idiot could use it (I know, I let my girlfriend film with it [img]tongue.gif[/img] ).
I was not really aware of the frame rate difference (18-24fps) so I soon realized that this camera only shot in 18, which most do. Anyway, if you pan with it too fast you will get a blurred image. Unless you have a camera that shoots 24fps or more you have to be really steady with your shots. But if you're planning to do a black and white film, something like a Sankyo should be perfectly fine.
Actually, whay I seemed to find out was, pretty much any super-8 camera with the built-in light meter and a zoom lens will create the same image on film and for a beginner will be quite satisfactory. When you get your feet wet, then move up to a better model like the Canon or Nizo. Listen to most people here about good cameras because most of them have the good equipment and can steer you in the right direction regarding what camera to buy.
~M
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks